Saturday, November 1, 2008

Excerpt from "Living in Someone Else's Skin"

It was another one of those days when I just didn't feel like being bothered with what was going on around me. Everyone was gettting on my last nerve. The boss was having a moment with menopause. Her second in charge was being her usual anal self. The kids were getting into everything that they could think of and fighting about nothing. I just needed a moment to escape, so I did like I always did, I went to another place in time...

Dear Princess,

Chris text me from Miami. He was finishing up his photo shoot for some magazine spread. He wanted me to know that he hadn't forgotten about me. I texted him back and told him that I would see him when he returned.

About an hour later, I received a strange text... It read, "Got your package?" I didn't get it. I was completely puzzled. Just as I was about to text a response, the doorbell rang. When I opened the door, it was the FedEx man. He asked, "Are you the Princess?" I replied, "Sure, why?" He simply extended a large envelope and asked for my signature. I honored his request and he gave me my package. He said, "Thank you. Have a good afternoon, ma'am."

It took me a minute to close the door behind the FedEx man. I was enjoying the presentation that was before me. It was a fantastic view from all angles. As my delivery man drove off into the sunset, I slowly closed the door to my abode. I was curious about this recent package I had received. As I tore open the package, there inside was a airline ticket. Just as I was about to look at the location, my phone contacted me again. It was another text. All it said was, "Are you ready?"

I looked back at the ticket and it was for Miami, Florida. I was to leave within the hour. It even had a post-it attached that read, "I'll see you there. I won't take no for an answer." All I could do was smile. I text Chris back these simple words, "See you in a few."

I didn't even bother to pack anything because I didn't think it would be necessary. Chris was always full of surprises. This one was no exception. After I collected my purse and keys, I proceeded toward the door to set the alarm. As I was going out the door, a driver was standing outside next to car. He politely smiled and said, "Your ride to the airport is here."

No comments: